Americans receive 200 million tons of unwanted mail, or junk mail, every year. Did you know that stopping your junk mail could save a tree and a half each year? Mail Preference Service, a consumer service sponsored by the Direct Marketing Association, is designed to assist consumers with decreasing the amount of national or commercial mail they receive at home.
To remove your name from certain mailing lists, all you have to do with register with Mail Preference Service. It may take a few months before you notice a decrease in the amount of unwanted mail delivered to you. Local advertising mail will not be affected. To get off local mailing lists, write directly to the mailer and request that your name be removed from the mailing list.
Check out these websites for more help on reducing unwanted mail:
In addition to severely infringing on your right to privacy, junk mail is responsible for:
- Creating 4 million tons of unnecessary wasted annually
- Filling 3% of American Landfills
- Stealing 320 million of your tax dollars for disposal fees
- Destroying 62 million trees annually
- Using 28 billion gallons of water for paper processing annually