Metal/Aluminum Can Recycling
Am I doing this right?
“I have been recycling for all of these years and now you’re telling me I have to wash my trash!?”
We all want to #recycleright but how do we go about doing it? At the Stark-Tuscarawas- Wayne Recycling District, we are examining this very thing to help all of our residents improve their recyclables and ensure that they are recycled.
According to the Recycling Coalition of Utah, there is no limit to the amount of times an aluminum can could be recycled. Here are some fun facts from the Recycling Coalition of Utah:
“One ton of recycled Aluminum saves:
- 14,000 kWh of electricity.
- 1,663 gallons of oil.
- 237.6 million Btu’s of energy.
- 10 cubic yards of landfill space.
- Aluminum takes 200-500 years to fully degrade in a landfill.
- Recycling aluminum takes 95% less energy than making aluminum from raw materials.
- Recycling one aluminum can saves enough energy to run a TV for three hours.
- There is no limit to the number of times aluminum cans be recycled.
- Recycled aluminum can be returned to store shelves in as little as 60 days.
- About 120,000 aluminum cans are recycled every minute nationwide”
Food, pop and other items can remain inside metal/aluminum cans. Over time, food and other items can produce some pretty bad smells that attract animals. A quick rinse of these items can help immensely. The items don’t have to be immaculate. Eliminating the most of the juices, sticky substances and food particles is key.
When placing the metal cans into our bins, be sure to put them in loose. No Plastic Bags! No Garbage Bags! All of these items should follow our motto of CLEAN, DRY and EMPTY. HAPPY RECYCLING!