Household Hazardous Waste
However, there are several risks associated with flushing or throwing away hazardous waste or leaving unused waste around your house:
- You can put trash collectors at risk (punctured propane tanks can explode or catch fire, for example).
- Children and pets could accidentally ingest poisonous material if it is accessible.
- Hazardous vapors could build up or liquids could leak if materials are not stored properly.
- Chemicals may react if accidentally mixed together.
- You can contaminate septic tanks, wastewater treatment systems, and natural bodies of water, polluting our drinking water and impeding the natural growth of plants and animals.
The Recycling District hosts a household hazardous waste collection drop-off site at the City of Canton Recycling Center and several collection events throughout the year for these items. Certain items, such as motor oil, lead acid batteries, propane tanks and rechargeable batteries may also have other outlets at scrap metal facilities or automobile service or supply centers.
Oil-based paints are hazardous and will be accepted for proper disposal through the District’s household hazardous waste collection program; however, latex paint is not hazardous and will not be accepted.Instead, if you have excess paint, please try one of these options:
- Donate It: Organizations, such as theatrical groups and others, may want it. Any Habitat for Humanity ReStore location in the District will accept it for recycling as well as the Stock Pile Reuse Store.
- Save It: Save paint for future use. It will last for years if sealed tightly and stored where it will not freeze.
- Solidify It: Solidify it and dispose of with regular trash. Simply mix in kitty litter, newspaper, or sawdust and let harden.
Where to Dispose of Household Hazardous Waste
Types of Household Hazardous Waste Accepted
- Household Cleaners
- Mercury-containing Items
- Oil Based Paint
- Lighter Fluid
- Ammonia Based Cleaners
- Automotive Fluids
- Paint Thinner
- Animal Poison
- Bug Spray
- Fluorescent Bulbs
- Swimming Pool Chemicals
- Windshield Washer Solution
- Drain Cleaner
- Fiberglass Epoxy
- Paint Thinner
- Spray Paint
- Paint Stripper
- Motor Oil
- Flammable Products